The Hawthorn Inn is an elegant, Queen Anne-style Victorian mansion situated on 1.2 acres of lawn and gardens just north of the village of Camden, Maine and steps from the Harbor. One of 66 homes listed in the National Register of Historical Places in the High Street Historic District, The Hawthorn was built in 1894 by a local commercial and residential builder, S.G. Ritterbush. Mr. Ritterbush built a number of the commercial buildings in the village of Camden as well as in other parts of Midcoast Maine and in New Hampshire. Local lore has it that he intended the house as a wedding gift for his daughter Emma. Just before the mansion was completed--shortly before Emma's wedding—a wealthy merchant offered Ritterbush a sum of money he could not refuse. Now a cozy, sunny room on the garden level is named for Emma, and her friendly, peaceful spirit protects the Inn. A private home until 1984, the Hawthorn has been operating as an inn for 28 years.