The Hawthorn Inn has been striving to be a green inn since November 2001 when Maryanne Shanahan purchased the Inn. We practice the three Rs: recycle, reuse and reduce. In recognition of the need to preserve the world in which we operate and serve our guests, the Hawthorn Inn is dedicated to practices and programs that pay respect to, and lessen our footprint on our changing environment. We have been committed to creating a new benchmark for the Inn through a series of environmental initiatives implemented throughout the Inn since inception, and building on the foundation established from the outset.
- We source and use environmentally sustainable and sensitive products and services locally, and we purchase, where possible, organic, environmentally friendly/responsible and recycled supplies.
- We purchase fresh and sustainable foods locally grown. Our foods are local and seasonally grown and purchased. In season we grow our own herbs, edible flowers and other garnishes.
- We shop at Farmers' Markets in summer. And a number of our local farmer friends are kind enough to deliver their specific food product(s) to us in season.
- We have created and continue to create partnerships with other organizations that have
- We retrofitted the property with energy-efficient lighting, heating and cooling systems where possible, water-saving shower devices, and Energy Star kitchen and laundry equipment.
- We converted electric kitchen ranges to propane gas. We continually measure our progress and examine additional means to conserve, and we support the commitment of others to preserving the environment.
- We recognize that our guests, employees and the community all benefit from and desire a healthy, sustainable environment. We are committed to maintaining a superior standard of service and environmental concern. Every decision we make is made with this policy in mind.